Skip to main content

Write For Yourself Or Write For Profit?

 Do you write because you want to write or because you want to make money?





This has been a matter of debate online with some people saying 'I write because I like writing' giving the impression that writing purely for money is mercenary in some way.

Although I do enjoy writing and don't see it as a job, I do write because I want to make money! I research and write in certain niches so that my stories sell as well as possible. 

The reason for this is very simple Yes, I love creating a story or even a non-fiction book but if it doesn't sell then I feel like I have wasted my time.

There is another issue and that is confidence if my work isn't selling then it's a massive hit to the ego and I find it very hard to write if I feel like nobody wants to read it. So far the best selling eBook I have written as been 'How To Make Money Publish Erotica!'


This was also the non-fiction work that I enjoyed writing the most! WIN WIN!!!!




Failure!

I wrote another eBook about making money and I did enjoy writing it, it didn't sell very well and received a couple of bad reviews so I pulled it. After reading through it I think the reviewers had a point that it was a bit preachy and a little bit of a complaint against people that are anti-money and capitalism, so I unpublished it rather than having work out there that people don't like. I may edit/rewrite it in the future but for now I have around four work in progresses so I don't really have the time! I am still trying to complete the second part of  'Caught Watching Tipples'

Along with another non-fiction on more planning and getting ideas for erotica and a couple of other works.
 
I wrote what I wanted to write but that doesn't mean readers want to read it.

But I want to write what I want to write! I want to start a new genre which is a mix of science fiction fantasy/horror erotica! And by God I will!

Sure go for it. Just don't expect to make a lot of money off of a small niche. Some niches which you would expect to sell well sometimes don't. I have a couple of stories that have trans characters and although I really, really wanted to write them, they didn't do very well compared to other niches. 

The more popular you become the more niches you can write in. It's like a friend of mine that wanted to be a famous singer. He sang in Spanish and didn't get anywhere, his manager begged him to sing in English and he straight out refused to compromise for his art. He never became famous. 

Writing is exactly the same. If you want to write that sci/fi, fantasy werewolf, taboo story set in 2440 then write in the popular niches first then write what you want to write when you have a following. Many people read JK Rowling's detective story because of who wrote it rather than being interested in detective stories.


I want to write, and I want to make money there is nothing wrong with that. If you want to write purely for money then there is nothing wrong with that either. 

Don't feel bad about it. Writing can be just as much of a business as anything else. 

There seems to be a group of self-righteous people that will almost troll writers that 

'Do it for the money' 

saying they aren't real writers or they are too commercial, etc. In the end it's up to the individual on how they want to write either for fun, fame, money or just as an extra income. 


Remember not everyone is the same, or have the same goals.



Sonia Shade






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behave As If Your Writing Is A Business

                                                                                               It is your business!  

My worst nightmare as an erotica writer has come true!

My worst nightmare as an erotica writer has come true! Recently I have been getting some people messaging me on social media not understanding that I write about sex, including threesomes, foursomes, bisexual experiences, cuckolding, and so on  BUT  I do  NOT  participate in these activities! Well, I say some people mostly men sending me often rude and disrespectful messages and a few unwanted pictures. There was even an instance of my partner getting abuse by a woman during a discussion because I write erotica! When he called her on what she meant by what she was implying as it was nothing to do with what they were talking about she quoted one of my stories! The good point about this is that the part of the story she was referencing was about halfway through the tale so she must have paid for it or read it on KU.  The Difference Between Fantasy And Reality! This was my worry when I started writing erotica that people might think I am speaking from experience rather than just making st

How To Sell Erotica?

That is a good question! A lot of people don't actually realize how hard it is to sell a story or a book                                                             Social Media   I know, this is what every single blogger etc says. And they would be right. It is true social media is a very powerful marketing tool. You don't need to have hundreds of thousands of followers because of how social media works your post can be spread to hundreds of thousands of people even if those accounts don't follow you. A lot of people think you need 1000s of followers to use social media effectively to market your writing. But actually, you only need a few people that have large amounts of followers that follow you! Case in point my second week of publishing stories at the time I had just four short erotic stories published. I decided to do a free promotion on Amazon. Because it was free! I was dreaming people would download it and give me fame and then they would buy my o